Good afternoon all! I hope you’re doing well.
It’s the third lockdown nationally here in the UK, and I wanted to take a moment of reflection and just to see how we’re actually doing? It’s become the “new normal” being inside the house and being locked down, but it’s also okay to admit it’s not great.
Many people have lost their jobs, people have not seen their families and loved ones in so long, just to keep them safe. So many people have lost those loved ones, and it’s been a heavy time. This is where we need to be compassionate to one another and especially compassionate to ourselves.
My dad once told me that it’s okay for a little bit to just say “I really hate what’s going on, I really don’t like it , it’s not fair, and I’m unhappy about it”. We’re used to rationalising and keeping things in because ‘it could be worse’ or ‘everyone else is going through it too’. But it’s okay to express and let it out, just allowing yourself to be honest for a minute.
The reason I wrote this post was just to remind you, and also remind myself the importance of looking after ourselves. I suppose lockdown was ‘easier’ when the weather was nicer and we could sit in our gardens and enjoy the sunny weather. But winter is already hard enough with it being dark all the time (and because it’s British weather , probably … usually wet!). I don’t have every answer, but I can share with you tips that have been helping me:
– trying to get as much natural light as possible (even though it’s dark quite early!)
– getting some fresh air in, not only is this good for ventilation purposes, but it really does help!
– staying in touch with people, calling or texting
– doing something you actually like. I rediscovered my love of reading again, and have started that again
– and if you’re brave (or just slightly weird like me!) wrapping up really warm and going for a bit of exercise outside while we can.
– taking time to rest , properly!
– leaning on your faith, your spirituality, whatever you believe in, hold onto something. Taking time to meditate, to be mindful! forms of relaxation!
I would love to hear some of your tips and suggestions on how you’re looking after yourself (please write in the comments below!)
But what helps and what works for you is the most important thing. Take it one day at a time!
You Matter, so much. Be kind to yourself, every single day.
Have an amazing week,
~ peace, joy & love x